15-16 June 2021, Rotorua, New Zeaalnd
Our Carbon Forestry Conference is back for 2021 to serve a range of delegates. Strategically motivated corporate investors are acquiring land for carbon planting as are niche international investors.
Recent rises in carbon prices have seen local emitters with emission obligations become motivated to form collectives to purchase marginal land suited to afforestation to establish forest portfolios. Their objectives are closely aligned to key Government policy directions.
Conference sessions will provide expert opinions across the debate. In close cooperation with Government our pre- and post-conference workshops and seminars make this conference a key focus for professional attention.
Subscribe to Updates
Sign up to receive all the latest on carbon forestry news and programme updates.
What is Carbon Forestry 2021?
Our popular Carbon Forestry Conference is back for 2021. Change is afoot with legislation for climate change and emissions trading. Business leaders need to keep informed of these changes as carbon farming investment opportunities continue to expand. Interest in carbon farming is strong among investors, emitters and a range of landowners.
This informative conference is organised by long-time industry conference partners, Innovatek, in collaboration with Government and investment groups. We are offering pertinent pre-conference and post-conference practical workshops to add further professional development opportunities.
- Session 1: Setting the Scene and “the mechanics”
- Session 2: Who’s Involved – Demand-side and What’s Happening
- Session 3: Who’s Involved – Supply-side and Case Studies
- Session 4: What’s Next and What Might Prove Challenging?
- Panel Session: Future Carbon Landscape – How May Carbon Forestry Play Out Longer Term?
For over 22 years Innovatek conferences have attracted professionals in the forestry, wood and carbon farming industries from across New Zealand, Australia, North and South America and Europe. Our extensive international conference networks draw business leaders to attend for the latest updates in technology, business and commercial trends for forest management and wood products and processes.
For our Carbon Forestry conference series we attract people across:
- Forest managers
- Forest investors
- Farm, Iwi and land managers
- Consulting foresters
- Iwi groups and organisations
- Accountants and investment managers
- Legal and financial professionals
- Landowners and farm foresters
- Large carbon emitters
Carbon Forestry 2021 Programme
Tuesday 15 June 2021
Evening icebreaker session
Pre-conference registration opens with drinks, canapes and networking
Wednesday 16 June 2021
Conference Registrations Open
Welcome & Introduction
KEYNOTE: The Big Picture
The Climate Change Commission; what we’re doing and what we’re seeing; the role of forestry
Dr Rod Carr, Chairperson, Climate Change Commission
The Evolution of the Market
Lizzie Chambers, Director, Carbon Match
The Forestry ETS: Now and the Immediate Future
A quick primer on how the forestry ETS operates; key settings; the regulator’s responsibilities; possible changes and modifications.
Oliver Hendrickson, Director Forestry and Land Management, Te Uru Rākau
Coffee break & Networking
BP's Global Environmental Products Business
The Role of NZ Carbon Forestry in BP’s Global Environmental Products Business.
Emily Spears, Environmental Products Originator, BP Energy Asia (live remote)
Commercial Conservation Carbon Forestry at Scale
The role of conservation carbon forestry and how it can work
Dr Sean Weaver, CEO, EKOS
Banking on Carbon Forestry
An agricultural bank's view on the role of carbon farming in future NZ farming systems.
Blake Holgate, NZ Animal Proteins & Sustainability Analyst, Rabobank
Lunch & Networking
Carbon Forestry on Farms
Rewards, risks and making it happen. A view from the Farm Gate.
Jamie Falloon, Wairarapa Sheep and Beef Farmer & Farm Foreste
Hawke's Bay - Taking a Regional View and Looking at Wider Environmental Benefits
The Hawke’s Bay Regional Council’s take on carbon forestry and what the Council is doing
James Palmer, CEO, Hawke’s Bay Regional Council
PANEL SESSION: Future Carbon Landscape
How carbon forestry may play out longer term
Coffee break & Networking
Some Thoughts on the Next Developments in Funding Models for Carbon Forestry
The future direction of carbon forestry in New Zealand and how things may change.
Dean Spicer, Head of Sustainable Finance, ANZ
The Risks - What Could Possibly Go Wrong and How To Mitigate Some of the (Less Obvious) Risks
Making good policy involves a process from the breadth of the wider world, down to a decision. In other words, broader strategy provides the framework for narrow finance. Always. When it doesn't, we can rationalise bankruptcy and vicious feedbacks that we haven't even bothered to imagine, let alone consider.
Chris Perley, Consultant and Principal, Thoughtscapes
How Can We Make This Happen? Where To From Here?
Summing up and/or a forward look from an industry watcher and commentator.
Rod Oram, Commentator
Final networking session
Distinction Hotel, Rotorua, New Zealand
390 Fenton Street, Rotorua | Tel: +64 07 349 5200 | Visit website
With its beautiful garden setting, the affordable Distinction Rotorua Hotel is the perfect place to relax and unwind after enjoying the wealth of attractions and activities that Rotorua has to offer.
Distinction Rotorua is located just minutes from the city centre and offers guests a range of mountain bike facilities including bike hire and a wash down facility as well as a purpose built, individual locker bike storage unit, FREE unlimited WiFi and complimentary guest car parking making the hotel a superb base for exploring the Rotorua area.
Sponsorship & Exhibition Opportunities
Carbon Forestry 2021 will be a tremendous opportunity for companies to maximise their exposure to the New Zealand carbon industry.
Innovatek has earned a well-deserved reputation over 20 years of providing both event sponsors and exhibitors with a unique independent platform for promoting their products and services to the industry in this region.
For further details contact Gordon Thomson, (+64) 7 921 1384 or (+64) 27 275 8022, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carbon Forestry 2021 Event Sponsors
- The Conference Rate refers to your attendance in person at the Rotorua conference
- Virtual Online registrations can be booked. This will enable those currently constrained by travel or budget restrictions to attend the conference remotely. This also ensures online attendance by Australian and other international companies.
- All prices exclude GST (15%). For registrations from outside New Zealand, GST does not apply.
- A credit card processing fee of 2.9% will be charged for all transactions.
- Supporting Association Member discounts apply. Please contact your association directly for the discount code.
- For Super EarlyBird and EarlyBird Rates, registrations and payment must be received ON or BEFORE the dates listed above.
- Your Conference Registration payment, if attending the event in Rotorua, covers morning and afternoon teas, lunches, refreshments, workshops, a conference handbook and access to presentations (electronic download for those presentations where presenter approval has been given) and on-demand recorded presentations.
- For Virtual Online registrations, your registration payment covers live access to all conference presentations, access to presentation PPT’s (electronic download of PDF’s for those presentations where presenter approval has been given) and links to all recorded presentations.
COVID-19 related information:
- The event organiser will work diligently to ensure that all instructions provided by the New Zealand Government and Health Authorities, relating to travel and the running of events because of COVID-19 are strictly adhered to. You can be sure that we will have all measures in place to safeguard your health and safety.
- It is the responsibility of the sponsor, exhibitor or delegate, if intending to travel to attend the Rotorua conference, to check on all updated health and Government guidelines for any specific entry requirements.
- If for any reason the Rotorua venue was unable to be used because of COVID-19 restrictions that were imposed by the New Zealand Government those registered to attend the physical event would be transferred to a new virtual on-line event that would be set up by the organisers. No refunds will be given.
- Please refer to our full Terms and Conditions relating to any event related issues around COVID-19.
For cancellations on or before Friday 19 February 2021, a 10% administration fee applies. Cancellations received after 19 February 2021 are non-refundable but are transferrable. Please allow 30 days for refunds to be processed. If you wish to transfer your registration to another individual from within your company, please provide us with at least 24 hours advance notice.
To read our full Terms and Conditions, Click Here.
Since 1998, Innovatek Ltd has run an extensive series of technology related events for Australasian forest products companies. Over 200 conferences, trade shows and exhibitions have been run for local companies.
Innovatek Contact Details
(+64) 7 921 1382
1800 126 398 (from Australia)
Building X91, Sala Street,
Rotorua 3010, New Zealand
PO Box 1230,
Rotorua 3040, New Zealand
Ph (+64) 7 921 1382